Jasper

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Griffin

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, July 30, 2009

We'll Miss You Poppa

Last week, Ryan and I got the sad news that Ryan's grandfather (Poppa to us) had gone home to heaven. We've known his health was declining for the last few months, so it wasn't a surprise, but his sweet presence will still be missed in our lives.

Poppa was a great man, husband, father and grandfather, a truth that was evident in all the stories we heard over the weekend and during the sweet memorial service. Ryan's mom delivered a beautiful, touching eulogy, and we continue to keep her in our prayers as she mourns the loss of her Daddy.

Poppa had a great sense of humor and loved to welcome new members of the family (including me) by offering them a piece of "candy." Thankfully, I had been warned before hand that Poppa's "candy" was actually chewing tobacco! An accessory he never left home without :) My favorite memory, though, is how every time I saw Poppa, he would ask me if I had a rolling pin and if I knew how to use it to keep Ryan in line :)

Poppa was very special in Ryan's life too. He cheered Ryan on at all of his baseball games when he was growing up, gave him his first taste of tobacco, and loved to take him fishing. We can only hope that our own kids have such special relationships with their grandparents.

What a comfort to know that Poppa was a man of God and is finally home with his savior now. We'll miss you, Poppa and look forward to rejoicing with you again one day!


"For I am ready to be poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge will award to me on that day - and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:6-8


2 comments:

  1. Very sweet. Thinking about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Melissa....what a beautiful tribute to a wonderful Daddy/Poppa.

    ILY...Moms

    ReplyDelete